Why gifted and creative kids fail in schools


Many parents of highly gifted kids know that school can be a rollercoaster ride for both their child as well as themselves. Highly gifted kids are also called orchid children, who might thrive if they grow in the right climate or they might just as well wither away.


As a parent of two gifted children I have been watching their school career in astonishment and bewilderment.

My older son was able to read at the tender age of two:



as well as being able to learn very quickly almost anything he was interested in:


My younger son has always been less theoretical, more practical and less widely interested in learning abstract concepts. Initially interested in technology and not in books he nevertheless learned to read with the help of books that interested him (trains, etc.).



My older son has hated school from Day 1. Refusing to do the tasks at school as well as his homework. He would rather cry for an hour than do work he could have finished in a few minutes. His grades have always been average to bad.

My younger son despite not being such a super-learner has found school very easy so far. He does most of the work the teacher gives him in less than half the time and then leans back in his chair. When the teacher offers him more work or more challenging work he politely refuses.

What account for the difference in academic success in not the boys` intelligence, obviously. It is their personality. Both children are introverted as the majority of gifted kids, but there is a crucial difference:
My older son is INFP, which means that he has a very creative intelligence with strong interests in languages, writing, stories and history). His strength Is finding patterns in areas concerning the humanities, but is not considered gifted in our school system.

My younger son is INTJ, which means he is interested in science and technology and his intelligence is way more structured and follows rules. His strength is understanding rules concerning technology and the natural world. He is considered gifted in our school system.

It is mostly these creative kids who fail in schools. What's more, not all gifted kids are math whiz kids. The might be interested in reading and history instead. Very logical kids, on the other hand, might struggle with language learning and learning to read. 

The injustice here probably seems obvious to most readers. However, this is one thing that many teachers completely fail to understand at school.  Spotting a gifted child might be very hard. Here are some signs to look out for:


  • high degree of introversion (not all gifeted kids are introverted, though)
  • highly sensitive kids (might be depressed or bipolar)
  • outcasts and victims of bullying, consider themselves "different"
  • clumsy or dorky kids (might be bad at sports and/or crafting)
  • extremely reluctant to do tasks they consider boring or futile
  • reluctant to make small talk and talk about banal things
  • highly socially minded (fight for environmental and social issues, protect underdogs)
  • absent mindedness (remeniscent of ADHD)
  • often might seem childish or clownish
  • are often emotially behind their developmental age and cry easily
  • have a good sense of humour, which might be rarely visble, however
  • uncoventional thinking and little respect for traditions
  • often like fantasy and science fiction


dedicted to my son, Andrej

dedicated to Sir Ken Robinson, one of the most inspirational people in the education space



Comments

  1. Thank you for the great post.
    I'm a father of two home-schoolers.
    I guess your children can enjoy learning more at home-schooling than going to their school.
    Are you considering about it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for you kind comment! Yes, we considered homeschooling as an option. But there was always this idea that my oldest son should get used to social interaction. In retrospect I agree with you, homeschooling probably would have been the better option.

      Delete
  2. Andreas, how does giving me “credit” for the face types legally work? I’ve seen my name in some earlier posts but not lately.
    FYI George W. Bush is an ENTJ, rectangle and Laure is ENFJ, heart. That’s a very common matchup.
    Thanks, trying to learn more about your system.

    Sir Ken was not proponent of typology a few years ago. In fact he gave it no credibility. I was disappointed a man of his stature would just rule the validity of something he has researched thoroughly.
    Jim Black

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant to say “rule out the validity of something he has not researched thoroughly”.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't blame Sir Ken... a few years back I would have said myself that MBTI is humbug.... if you can't see a deeper cause behind it, it probably hard to believe in something that has not been scientifically proven. When I discuss my own ideas with scientists, they stop the discussion at the first mention of MBTI :(

      Delete
  4. That's crazy, I'm an INFP just like your older son. Literally everything you described was me growing up. My grades sucked, I hated doing homework (I would take hours just to do simple things like spelling he just to avoid it), I was super quiet and sensitive in school (still am) and I had trouble focusing in class cause my mind was always drift on to something else. I also tried to go into med school and ended up dropping out, but when I switched to an art design major, I graduated with Suma cum laude. I taught myself most of my course work before we learned it in class and I was able to absorb a lot of my skills mostly through observation. Despite my short comings during grade school, this unfocused kid that would turn in homework with drawings on it rather than math problems is now on his way to one of the best design schools in California.

    In short, it's reassuring that this is a thing that people are discussing. The one-fit model of schooling nowadays doesn't fit everyone and I'd love to see gifted children rise up into their full potential. In my case, I would always, unintentionally, be overshadowed by my sister, who "gifted" in the schooling system. She always did her work on time and had nearly perfect grades. But basically, it's a matter of finding the right environment to grow in. For me, it was an open environment that didn't grade based off of how many questions I got right, but rewarded me to explore my imagination and create new designs. Anyways, best of luck to your kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Same to you!
      Your sister probably is also -J... you might find this here interesting:
      https://the-big-ger-picture.blogspot.com/2019/04/learning-styles-why-visual-auditory-and.html

      Delete
  5. You just described me

    Im 14 right now and I have the same problem in school as your older son

    But do you also know how to fix it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I don't think there is a an easy fix. What has helped my son a lot: less pressure and acceptance the way he is. I don't care about bad grades anymore. Forst passions, my son's are history, politics and linguistics. As long as he gets through high school he should be able to find something he loves doing in life.

      Delete

Post a Comment