Explaining 5 songs written by intuitives

Intutivitves are different from sensors, we often live in a parallel world, this is particularly true for INTPs/INFPs. I have argued that intuitives have egalitarian hunter-gatherer minds that live in a less idealistic and more status-oriented farmer society. Here are five songs that I found particularly appealing when they came out without knowing why. Having read a lot about Myers-Briggs types I now understand why I loved those songs so much. Here we go:

Nothing Else Matters - James Hatfield (INTJ)/Metallica

Never opened myself this way

Life is ours, we live it our way

All these words I don't just say

And nothing else matters

In the opening verse, Hatfield expresses two deep yearnings of INTJ: being able to trust somebody and living a non-conformist life. INTJs often perceive other people as mean, they don’t understand why they lie so often and as hunter-gatherer minds they are not inclined to follow the crowd.

Born to Run  - Bruce Springsteen (ENFP)

Oh, baby this town rips the bones from your back

It's a death trap, it's a suicide rap

We gotta get out while we're young

'Cause tramps like us, baby, we were born to run

Like many intuitives, Springsteen feels that the place where he was born is not where he belongs and it is killing him. Like Springsteen, I also had the feeling that I had to leave the place where I was born. So, I left my hometown, lived in several countries and found many other people like me. Being with my own “tribe” helped me overcome my shyness and social anxiety.

Fast Car - Tracy Chapman (INFP)

So remember we were driving, driving in your car

Speed so fast I felt like I was drunk

City lights lay out before us

And your arm felt nice wrapped 'round my shoulder

I had a feeling that I belonged

I had a feeling I could be someone, be someone, be someone

Tracy Chapman has a similar theme: getting out of your hometown as fast as possible to finally find a place where you belong. An additional theme is that the place where she lives holds her back from self-actualization. This is particularly tough for INFPs, who avoid conflict and feel powerless in a world where you have to be assertive to be someone.

Ordinary World - Simon Le Bon (ENPF)/Duran Duran

What has happened to it all?

Crazy, some'd say

Where is the life that I recognize?

Gone away

But I won't cry for yesterday

There's an ordinary world

Somehow I have to find

And as I try to make my way

To the ordinary world

I will learn to survive

Simon Le Bon wrote this song after a close friend of his died. He experiences some kind of post-traumatic stress disorder and had the feeling he was crazy. He feels there are two different worlds, the one in which he lived in harmony with his intuitive friend and an ordinary world, where there is greed and violence. After the passing away of his friend he has to get used to living in the ordinary (farmer) world.

Here I Go Again - David Coverdale (INTP)/Whitesnake

And here I go again on my own

Goin' down the only road I've ever known

Like a drifter, I was born to walk alone

And I've made up my mind

I ain't wasting no more time

Loneliness and disconnectedness is something all intuitives might experience, but few as bad as INTPs. INTPs are often lonely from early childhood on (“the only road I have ever known), because they are so different and have little motivation to adapt to a farmer world.  The theme comes up in many INTP songs, like Boulevard of Broken Dreams and 21 Guns by Billie Joe Armstrong (Green Day) and the instrumental The Loner by Gary Moore. These songs often even appeal to extroverted intuitives, who also often tend to become loners during their teenage or adult years.


Comments