T is for testosterone in personali-T


One question I often get to answer on Quora is “Am I a T or an F type”. This is about the Myers-Briggs or Jungian distinction between Thinkers and Feelers. This is a personality trait that correlates roughly with trait Agreeableness in the Big 5 inventory, with high agreeableness associated with a softer or more female personality and low agreeableness associated with a tougher, more male personality. From an evolutionary point of view, these two personality profiles are most likely derived from a providing male profile (e.g. hunter) and a caregiving female profile. From a cognitive point of view, T brains are systemizing and F brains empathizing (cf. Simon Baron-Cohen).

I usually tell people to check their digit ratio, as it is indicative of prenatal exposure to high levels of testosterone (T) or estrogen (F), respectively. A low digit ratio (below zero, or ring finger longer than index finger) indicates high testosterone.

 

Low digit ratio male/T type (Source Wikimedia)

So, we arrive at the following correspondences:

MBTI

D2:D4 ratio

Big 5

hormone

Evolutionary function

Cognitive function

T

low

low agreeableness

testosterone

provisioning

systemizing

F

high

High agreeableness

estrogen

caregiving

empathizing

Of course, these correspondences are not set in stone and there may be considerable variation. Nor are testosterone and estrogen mutually exclusive or complementary. There are plenty of T men who are highly agreeable, for example. Nevertheless, this scheme may be a useful guideline. There are traits based on these types that can often already be observed in childhood.

T types display more

  • Self-directedness and independence
  • Interest in objects rather than people
  • Anger
  • Aggressiveness
  • Competitiveness
  • Leadership (sometimes dominance)
  • Decisiveness
  • Higher risk-taking

Cultures that have large differences in sexual dimorphism (among them also digit ratio), usually have more strongly defined gender roles too. A study has found that Hadza hunter-gatherer men do not have more masculine digit ratios than women. This finding ties in neatly with the high degree of egalitarianism between men and women in hunter-gatherers as compared to peoples with other modes of subsistence (farming and herding).

Women in politics are almost always T types, as you have to be tough to survive in politics: Angela Merkel, Hillary Clinton and Margaret Thatcher are only a few examples. Unfortunately, a lot of more traditionally-minded people are unwilling to vote for these women as they don’t always correspond to our stereotypes of what women should be like. I personally think that Hillary Clinton would have been a much more competent president than Donald Trump.


As people get older they often gravitate towards the middle, i.e. T types becoming more mellow and F types becoming a bit tougher. The birth of a child might also have effects on (both mothers' and fathers') hormone levels. These might be some of the reasons why people get different results when they take the Myers-Briggs personality test. 



Comments

  1. Thanks for this, very curious article. I tried with digit ratios, not sure what to make of it, as on right hand it's 0.98, left hand is 1.03.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting case... I have seen this once before; as far as I remember reading right hand is more indicative of the tesosterone level in utero, but I am not sure if they gave any reason why this should be so.
      I test between INFP and INTP... I can indentify more with INFP as my whole childhood was spent as an INFP... I became more T during puberty
      What are you? ENTP/ENFP? If you bothered to measure, I suppose you got a lot of T ;)

      Delete
    2. thanks for the response! Right, it feels like you're trying to establish a link between my T results and MBTI? Let's see! Firstly, I have consistently received one result only throughout the years (test done in 20s, early 30s and recently), which is INTJ. I think it's my preferred 'way', however, I suspect that there may be just as much truth to being INFJ, as am more friendly and extroverted than most INTJ (from what I learned from quora) and can also feel the energy in the room. Does this make sense at all?

      Delete
    3. Absolutely! My digit ratio is similar to yours, i.e left ring finger slightly longer and right one slightly shorter than my respective index fingers. I am perceived as very friendly, but I do have a number of INTP traits: I love to think, it's my preferred hobby, I love to wear black clothes, I used to be a nihilist when younger, etc.
      BTW, I used to be scared of my INTJ teachers in school... as a teacher I have a special fondness for N kids, especially INTJs. I have an INTJ son myself.

      Delete
    4. oh INTP, not sure if I've known any so far , it's the philisophical type, isn't it? :) great to meet one!
      Lol. The scary INTJs ... I think I also had a few teachers that others found scary but I found them very reassuring in the sense that they may have been strict but they were all fair at the same time and everyone was judged according to their performance and nothing else. Best teachers I had, hands down.

      Delete
    5. Philosophical is a good description for me. My INFP son was described like this by one of his teacher too. I used to think that all N-types are philosophical to some extent... but I suppose INTJs are too pragmatic to be very philosophical ;)
      You might have met a couple of INTPs in your life, but we are pretty inconspicuous, easy to miss... often. wallflowers
      There is actually another thing that make you more F than the typical INTJ: you seem to have very full lips (judging from your profile picture which is a bit pixelated). That's not philosophy... it's science... they are a sign of high estrogen:
      https://www.dermalinstitute.com/article/47/#:~:text=According%20to%20sexual%20psychologists%2C%20tests,and%20the%20fuller%20the%20lips.

      Delete
    6. hehe. being philosophical is good, hope the teacher was more open minded; not all recognise highly gifted people. But even if they don't then, you can support your mini INFP :)

      now with regards to philosophy, I like it but I guess eventually I'll establish its value by pragmatic considerations, i.e. does it help my life quests or does it not? Stoics have great pragmatic teachings, so those I definitely fancy. Nietzsche, too, but apparently that's no wonder, he's been pinned down as an INTJ as far as I'm aware.

      Going back to the mighty hormones, you're perception was right ...The science also checks out in reality as my lab tests came back with estrogen dominance (and also display other estrogen dominance related features). Now, if high estrogen makes me more F, likely with age and drooping estrogen, will be more T, is that the science, too?

      Delete
    7. My little INFP wast the reason I started this all (blogging and the HG hypothesis). Primary school was a nightmare, like for many gifted kids and their parents. One of my first posts was about how to identify gifted children.
      INTJs are usually the ones easiest to identify (unless they are twice exceptional).

      TBH, I have never liked Nietzsche (not really read though)...The idea of an "Übermensch" makes me shudder, as it means that the vast majority of people are "Untermenschen"... for me there are no lower cateogry human beings. This ideas seemed so anti-egalitarian to me that I intitionally even had doubts if INTJs could be hunter-gatherer types... but I am slowly beginning to understand now why...

      Hormones: unfortunately the science is not as advanced as I would like it to be, I suppose that could shed much more light on who we are. I am even bad at medice (my wife who isn't that intellectually inclided easily beats me on anything connected with medicine). As far as I know both testosterone and estrogen levels drop with age.

      I am not even sure if it makes that make sense to identify with CURRENT hormone levels... if you spent your life mostly as an INTJ, you probably will remain an INTJ, even if you are softer, more charming, etc.

      I was actually going to include some of my experience as a teacher in the post. If you are T rather than F you will be interested in
      science more than languages, biology more than psychology (all biology teachers I have ever known were T) (even thought INTJs shoud be highly interested in psychology); politics more than history; non-fiction more than fiction;


      Delete
    8. well I can imagine it was a problem for your kid. :( I checked out your post, very interesting. I'm still struggling with the concept of 'giftedness' and such measured with IQ tests.

      Wrt Nietzsche, I got the book as a gift and luckily had no preconceptions (I don't think he was linked to Nazi propaganda during my studies). I later realised when conversing with others that the idea of the 'übermensch' comes from there. I had to force my mind to figure out where exactly in the book. Sadly, one of the most beautiful and relateable ideas

      "an overman is someone who can establish his own values as the world in which others live their lives, often unaware that they are not pregiven[...] an overman has his own values, independent of others, [...] An overman is then someone who has a life [...] with the purpose for humanity. " Link :
      https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~pj97/Nietzsche.htm


      His idea obviously got tweaked to oblivion probably the same way as egalitarianism was tweaked by communism. So, so sad.

      Hormones... I looked into them and their interaction for a while ...very complex system, although biology itself is very interesting. :) Thanjs for the last paragraph, actually, it looks like I'll have to admit I'm at the cusp of T and F (interested in science, languages, biology , psychology, don't care for politics or history. hehe

      Delete
    9. oh, I wrote a long reply and it didn't save :( to cut a long story short, I have come to see the übermensch in a completely different way
      >with the purpose for humanity
      that is truely beautiful... or in my hypothesis - hunter-gatherer out-group social :)
      can't believe you don't care for politics and history... those are the two life-time passions of an INTJ friend of mine ;)
      In case you want to continue our conversation, perhaps better via email: ahlearning@gmail.com

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment